Check out our Book Studies as we explore some of the most pressing issues we are facing in today's complex word.
Racism is our Country's original sin, according to Jim Wallis. It is systemically woven into our culture that privileges caucasians and disadvantages other ethnic groups. Why do white people find it so difficult to talk about racism? How might having the difficult conversations change the systems of privilege?
Join us as Brian Nelson-Munson leads us through Robin DiAngelo's book, "White Fragility: Why it is so hard for white people to talk about racism."
Days: Mondays starting August 10th
Time: 3:30 pm
Zoom Meeting ID: 934 4957 6090
Or click here:
- August 10: Introduction Moving_Towards_a_More_Just_World.pdf
- August 17: Chap. 1-2 Moving_Towards_a_More_Just_World._Ch._1_and_2.pdf
- August 24: Chap. 3 White_Fragility._ch._3_4.docx
- August 31: Chap. 4
- September 7: Chap. 5 White_Fragility._Ch._5_The_Good_Bad_Binary.docx
- September 14: Chap. 6 White_Fragility._ch.6._Anti-Blackness.pdf
- September 21: Chap. 7 White_Fragility_Chapter_7.docx
- September 28: Chap. 8
- October 5: Chap 9 White_Fragility_Ch._9.pdf
- October 12: Chap 10 White_Fragility_Chapter_10_v._2.pdf
- October 19: Chap 11
- October 28: Chap 12
- November 2: Wrap up
Anthony Peterson gives an excellent TEDx Talk on how he is learning about racism from his white grandchildren.
- Dr. Brene Brown shares an insightful podcast on shame an accountability which focuses on racism. https://brenebrown.com/podcast/brene-on-shame-and-accountability/
- Dr. Megan Ming Francis shares her experiences of racism on this TEDx Talk and challenges us to get to its root cause. https://youtu.be/-aCn72iXO9s
- Dr. Robin DiAngelo talks about Deconstructing White Privilege, (sponsored by the General Commission on Religion and Race of the UMC.) https://youtu.be/DwIx3KQer54
- Dr. Peggy McIntosh: White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack. Dr. McIntosh explores what white privilege about. Invisible_Backpack.pdf
- Dr. WEB Du Bois: The Souls of Black Folks, examines the experience of Black persons in the early 20th Century. DuBois-Souls_of_Black_Folk.pdf